Gellir lawrlwytho cynnwys at ddefnydd anfasnachol, megis defnydd personol neu ar gyfer adnoddau addysgol.
Ar gyfer defnydd masnachol cysyllwch yn uniongyrchol gyda deilydd yr hawlfraint os gwelwch yn dda.
Read more about the The Creative Archive Licence.


The location of the Cardiff University Settlement, as outlined by B. M. Bull in his book 'The University Settlement in Cardiff', published by The School of Art in 1965.

The Cardiff University Settlement was established in 1901, at 50-52 Portmanoor Road, Splott, Cardiff, Glamorgan, by a group of academic staff at the University College, Cardiff, led by Professor Ronald Burrows (Professor of Greek). They were concerned that the University College should seek to improve social conditions in the poorer areas of Cardiff by active social work in the community. The objective of the University Settlement was to provide educational and recreational facilities not normally available to the poorer members of the community. The University Settlement was organised into four separate clubs: the Lads', Girls', Women's and Men's clubs. The combined membership of the clubs reached 250 by 1903. In 1904, the University Settlement formed itself into a limited company called University Settlement in Cardiff, and built a University Settlement Hall, in Walker Road, Splott, which included classrooms, gymnasium, recreational rooms fitted out for billiards and air rifles, and opened in December 1904. Mr Edward Lewis, Mrs Lewis and Mrs Hughes were active in the organisation. The University Settlement remained active until the outbreak of the First World War, when many of the members of the Lads' and Men's clubs joined the armed services. Following the requisitioning of the club premises for a military hospital, the activity of the University Settlement largely ceased. After the War it proved impossible to resume the University Settlement, as many members had dispersed. The University Settlement Hall was sold in 1922, to become St Illtyd's College, a Roman Catholic school, and the University Settlement company was formally wound up in 1924.

Glamorgan Archives, DCE/4/1

Copyright statement: we made the best endeavours to discover the rights holders of the items on display. In instances where the rights holder could not be found, or the work was unattributed, we kindly request that anyone with information regarding the item contact us. Anyone believing that they are the rights holder should follow the ‘notice and take-down’ policy (below).

Notice and take-down: should you identify any unlawful content published by VCS Cymru Chronicle on the People’s Collection Wales website, such as material that infringes copyright, you should notify VCS Cymru and ask for the material to be removed.

Oes gennych chi wybodaeth ychwanegol am yr eitem hon? Gadewch sylwad isod

Sylwadau (0)

Rhaid mewngofnodi i bostio sylw