Gellir lawrlwytho cynnwys at ddefnydd anfasnachol, megis defnydd personol neu ar gyfer adnoddau addysgol.
Ar gyfer defnydd masnachol cysyllwch yn uniongyrchol gyda deilydd yr hawlfraint os gwelwch yn dda.
Read more about the The Creative Archive Licence.

Disgrifiad

This collection of documents relates to the issuing of licences by the Cardiff United Synagogue Board of Shechita in 1960.

Shechita is the process of slaughtering animals for food in accordance with Jewish tradition and laws. The authorisation to slaughter Kosher meat is only given to a shochet, a person who has been trained and licensed to slaughter animals and birds in accordance with the laws of Shechita.

The first document is a partly completed short form of the licence, hand-annotated at the top with Cardiff United Synagogue, Copy A. It includes information on Shechita Board Licence Number: the fields for name, address, and dates of licence are left blank. Hand annotated next to 'Name', is Butcher/Poulterer.

The second document is a blank licence, hand-annotated at the top with Copy B.

The third document is a completed license, granted to G and M Kaye and Sarah Krotosky for their businesses at 48 Bridge Street and 11 Frederick Street, Cardiff, in 1961.

The fourth document is an unannotated version of the first document.

The fifth document (images five, six and seven) appears to be a handwritten draft of the second document.

The seventh document shows the stub left on the licence pad when the licence was issued.

The Cardiff United Synagogue was established in 1942 when the Cardiff Hebrew Congregation and the Cardiff New Hebrew Congregation were united into a single organisation. The community dates back to the arrival of Levi Marks and his family in the 1810s.

After meeting in various places, the Cardiff Hebrew Congregation built a synagogue in East Terrace in 1858. The congregation outgrew these premises, and a new synagogue was opened on Cathedral Road in 1897. In the late 1890s, a group of recent immigrants left the "Englisher shul" to form the "foreigners' shul", formally known as the Cardiff New Hebrew Congregation. They worshipped at Edward Place, then moved to Windsor Place in 1918.

After the 1942 reunification, the Cardiff United Synagogue continued to use both the Windsor Place and the Cathedral Road synagogues until 1955 when the lease on the former expired, and a new synagogue was built on Ty-Gwyn Road in Penylan. The Cathedral Road synagogue was in use until 1988. The Penylan synagogue was replaced in 2003 by the current premises in Cyncoed Gardens.

Sources:

Chabod.org, What is Shechita? https://www.chabad.org/library/article_cdo/aid/222240/jewish/What-Is-Shechita.htm [accessed 12 August 2023]

JCR-UK: Jewish Communities & Records, Cardiff United Synagogue, Cardiff, Wales (2020)
https://www.jewishgen.org/jcr-uk/Community/card/index.htm [accessed 1 August 2023]

Parry-Jones, Cai, The History of the Jewish Diaspora in Wales (doctoral thesis, Bangor University, 2014)
https://research.bangor.ac.uk/portal/files/20579001/null [12 August 2023]

Depository: Glamorgan Archives: D765/14.

Oes gennych chi wybodaeth ychwanegol am yr eitem hon? Gadewch sylwad isod

Sylwadau (0)

Rhaid mewngofnodi i bostio sylw