arrowbookcheckclosecommentfacebookfavourite-origfavouritegooglehomeibapdfsearchsharespotlighttwitterwelsh-government

Gellir lawrlwytho cynnwys at ddefnydd anfasnachol, megis defnydd personol neu ar gyfer adnoddau addysgol.
Ar gyfer defnydd masnachol cysyllwch yn uniongyrchol gyda deilydd yr hawlfraint os gwelwch yn dda.
Darllenwch fwy am y Drwydded Archif Greadigol.

Delwedd 1:Download link to the full resolution of image number 1
full resolution of image 1
Delwedd 2:Download link to the full resolution of image number 2
full resolution of image 2
Delwedd 3:Download link to the full resolution of image number 3
full resolution of image 3
Delwedd 4:Download link to the full resolution of image number 4
full resolution of image 4
Delwedd 5:Download link to the full resolution of image number 5
full resolution of image 5
Delwedd 6:Download link to the full resolution of image number 6
full resolution of image 6
Delwedd 7:Download link to the full resolution of image number 7
full resolution of image 7
Delwedd 8:Download link to the full resolution of image number 8
full resolution of image 8
Delwedd 9:Download link to the full resolution of image number 9
full resolution of image 9
Delwedd 10:Download link to the full resolution of image number 10
full resolution of image 10
Delwedd 11:Download link to the full resolution of image number 11
full resolution of image 11

Disgrifiad

Handwritten essay entitled 'The History of the Industrial Development of the Rhondda' by Gordon Coles of Treherbert, date unknown. Mention on page 9 of Pollicoffs (sic), a Jewish business, and their move to the Rhondda.

Alfred Polikoff (Wales) Ltd was founded in 1939 by Russian Jewish businessman Alfred Polikoff. Initially, Alfred produced garments in a partnership, with Joseph Pezaro, in London. They described themselves as ‘Skirt Manufacturers, Ladies Costume and Blouse Manufacturers and Gentlemen’s Tailors.’ However, the partnership was dissolved in 1908 and Polikoff went on to build a clothing factory in Hackney. In 1937, Alfred Polikoff (Wales) Ltd was financed by a Treasury loan of £40,000 under the Special Areas Act, a purchase of £55,000 in shares and a loan of £20,000 from the Nuffield Trust. They produced garments, sewed, and pressed (used to share same premises as Burberry, the Treorchy factory later became known Burberry), made clothes for civilians but also worked for the War Department making military uniforms. The business originated in Hackney, London but a factory was set up under the Special Areas Act at Ynyswen, Treorchy (Rhondda). The business was acquired by Great Universal Stores, along with Burberry, in 1948. In the 1980s it was taken over by G.H.S. Fashions.

Depository: Rhondda Heritage Park.

Sylwadau (0)

Rhaid mewngofnodi i bostio sylw