Designed by Ernest Runtz and Ford, London architects (e.g. Gaiety Theatre). The plans were submitted and approved in 1905, and the theatre opened on December 10th, 1906. There was a refurbishment in 1987-89 by the Renton, Howard, Wood & Levin Partnership which included works to the auditorium, and the enlargement of Foyer including a new stair in the bowed corner.
The theatre is constructed of red brick with bathstone dressings (the side wings painted). It is on a curved corner block, and is three storeys with polygonal turrets with octagonal cupolas.
The auditorium has a square-headed and panelled proscenium arch with two bays of tiered boxes to each side, ornamented with giant Ionic pilasters and entablatures. The balcony fronts of the upper boxes are each moulded in the form of a scroll, while there are panelled and balustraded balcony fronts to the lower boxes. There are curved and panelled balcony fronts to the Front Circle and Upper Circle. The auditorium ceiling is divided into two large plaster panels which are ornamented with modillions, and the panel over the larger part of the auditorium has four gilded wreathes and a centre rose. The foyer is circular.